4 English Language Proficiency Exams For Potential Migrants

Spread the love

If you are a non-native English speaker thinking about migrating to a country where English is the main language, a time will come that requires you to prove your language proficiency. If you plan to work in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia or New Zealand, it’s extremely important that you hold legitimate qualification of language proficiency. Your visa, and later job applications, will depend on this particular document. There are a staggering number of English language proficiency exams out there, so it can be difficult to choose just one. Some are best suited for professionals, and others are good for students. In any case, check out this list of most widely used English language proficiency exams to find out which suits you to the best:
This is the most common English language proficiency exam out there, suitable for both U.S. and U.K. English and for students and professionals alike. It assesses a person’s ability to read, write, speak and understand English on an academic level. Therefore, almost all English-language universities, some government organizations, private companies and scholarship boards have TOEFL as a mandatory requirement. You can take the exam on paper, on a computer, or online, which is right now the most popular and convenient method.
This is the most popular exam for those wanting to migrate to Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland and South Africa. Unlike TOEFL, IELTS is administered by an examiner with whom you’ll have to interact. It includes reading, writing, listening and speaking sections. There are actually two versions of the exam. One is “Academic,” for students, and the other is “General training,” for those who seek a language proficiency certificate to meet visa requirements.
3. The iTEP test
Though not as well-known as the previous two, the iTEP test is rapidly gaining traction as an English language assessment tool for academia and businesses. There are conveniently different versions of the exam for university students, school children, business-level employees and hospitality industry employees like those who wish to work at multinational hotels or cruise liners.
4. CPE
Unlike the other exams, this is much more demanding and demonstrates that the examinee has truly mastered English language skills. Though well suited for all industries, it’s best for graduate-level students, visiting professors and highly-skilled employees.
Remember that any kind of language certification is better than none. Relocating to a new country can be challenging, and learning a new language even more so, but don’t be discouraged. These exams are easy to master with the right kind of help. Don’t give up and work hard. You’ll achieve your goal one day.